Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bird's Nest Soup

Aunt Dee gave us a copy of the Planet Earth series (BBC version for aficionados) and we just watched the cave episode. Yikes! Above and beyond all the gooey, creepy, crawly stuff was the description of cave swift. More particularly, the cave swift's nest and 'the measure of it's creation.' First of all, the nest is made from saliva. Yeah, bird spit. THEN people harvest it for a Chinese delicacy called bird's nest soup. Truer to its name than I had ever imagined. And, yes, we did eat this while we lived in Singapore...and I loved it! Don't vomit on your keyboard here but I have a sick desire to taste this once again now that I know what it's made of. That's right - bring on the bird's spit and bless the crazy Chinaman who thought "I bet I could boil that bird's house and eat it."

2 comments:

  1. my relatives on my mom's side of the family tried to make me eat it. i think i had the same problem at the time i heard it was bird spit. but for the sake of health, I am now taking it regularly.

    btw, i don't buy the super-expensive kind like old people do. the ready-to-drink kind at the stores are pretty affordable. (e.g. www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm)

    ReplyDelete